"and always there are mysteries…stories told and retold of secret places in the desert mountains where surviving clans of an older era wait to re-emerge…if a stranger discovers their existence he is so absorbed that he is never seen again. If none return, how is it known what is there? …Oh it is there all right, but if you find it you will never be found." - Steinbeck.
Eight instrumental acoustic guitar songs recorded in my apartment between January 2012 and May 2013. Remastered July 2013.
1. Sheepmanblues: drone blues with a nod to Murakami, played in CGCGCE tuning. The SHEEPMAN is ever-present and cryptic in his instruction & aim.
2. No Ticket Blues: Played in DADF#AD. An original composition, indebted to Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Skip James. Ain't got no Ticket, ain't got no ride.
3. Moonfeeder: nocturne played in DADFAD
4. Poor Boy Long Ways From Home: adapted from an arrangement from John Fahey who I think adapted primarily from Barbecue Bob and Booker White. This is one of the oldest songs. No one wrote it but it floats in the firmament of American music. Rev. Robert Wilkins secular song "That's No Way to Get Along" became "Prodigal Son" when he took up the cloth and this song bears much similarity. Adapted by the Stones on the Beggar's Banquet album.
5. Melatonin Blues / Fever Dream: I stayed up for way too long and improvised this arrangement of a couple ideas and figures I had been playing for a while.
6. Rainin' Sideways: came up with on the couch while visiting my home, played in Open C. Recorded in Seattle on one of the ugliest days in history.
7. Long After We Are Dead: one of the first instrumental songs I wrote. It came together after visiting Antietam, Gettysburg, and other Civil War sites.
8. Lonesome No More: In E Standard tuning, capo'd 2nd fret. A foray into spatial composition…echo & distance.
Thank you: Alex Hagenah, Andy Berner, Joe Figliuolo, Stephanie Shephard, Joe Johnson
All selections composed by M. Wohl except for #4 Traditional/Fahey/Wohl
released July 23, 2013
Michael Wohl - Guitar, recording
Jordan Sattelmair - Mastering
Matt Pomykalski - Recording